Best Brownie Recipe
This is the best brownie recipe I've ever tried (and I have tried lots - because I do love brownies!)
This recipe mixes up easily, in just one bowl. It makes the perfect brownie: moist, chewy, and exactly firm enough - not cakey or crumbly like some brownies I've tried.
These are similar to the brownies made with cocoa that my mom used to make. Mine use whole wheat flour, though.
These are delicious with a glass of milk!
I realize that brownies aren't exactly a healthy snack. But there are times when I do want a chewy decadent brownie. I could go to the store and buy a package mass-produced in a factory far away - or I could mix up a batch of tasty brownies in my own kitchen. At least this way I know what is in them!
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- unsweetened cocoa
- whole wheat flour
- chopped walnuts (optional)
- in the fridge or freezer
Get out your equipment
- a mixing bowl
- measuring cups and spoons
- a square cake pan
1 cup/250 mL sugar
1/2 cup/125 mL unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup/125 mL whole wheat flour
6 Tbsp/75 mL melted butter
1 tsp/5 mL vanilla
1/2 cup/125 mL chopped nuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 325F/160C.Grease a square baking pan.
In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the sugar, cocoa and flour.
Stir in the melted butter.
Add the eggs and vanilla.
Add the (optional) nuts.
Spread batter in the greased pan.
Bake until the brownies are shiny on top, and have pulled away slightly from the edges of the pan (about 30 minutes).
- Use another flour (white, spelt, etc.) in place of the whole wheat flour.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Use your favourite nuts in place of the walnuts. (I'll bet pecans would be good!) Or use raisins instead.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or in a pan on the stove. You could even put it in an oven-safe dish and let it melt in the pre-heating oven.
- Let the brownies cool in the pan before you try to cut them. If you cut them too soon, they'll be crumbly.
- Don't substitute honey or another healthy sweetener for the sugar. It just doesn't work in this recipe!
If you enjoy this best brownie recipe, you may also like these other recipes: