On the side
Black Bean Recipe:
Caribbean Black Beans
Here's a black bean recipe that I can have on the table in 20 minutes! It's delicious served over rice, with salsa.
We eat black beans about once a week. They are so delicious that I often forget how nutritious they are!
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- olive oil
- whole dried thyme
- canned black beans
- in the fridge or freezer
- orange juice
- ginger root
Get out your equipment
- a large skillet
- a can opener
- a cutting board and sharp knife
- a stirring spoon or spatula
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a grater (if not, mince the ginger very finely with a knife)
- a garlic press (if not, mince the garlic too)
- a potato masher (if not, mash the beans with a fork)
- measuring cups and spoons (if not, just estimate)
- a metal colander for draining and rinsing the beans
1 Tbsp/15 mL olive oil
1 cup/250 mL chopped onion
1 clove garlic, pressed
2 tsp/10 mL grated ginger root
1/2 tsp/2 mL whole thyme
2 cans (each 19 oz/540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup/175 mL orange juice
In a large skillet, heat the oil.
Add the onion and garlic.
Sauté until the onions begin to soften.
Add the ginger and the thyme.
Continue sautéing until the onion are very soft.
Add the beans and the orange juice.
Heat until the mixture softens slightly.
Mash a few of the beans.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use about 2 tsp/10 mL fresh thyme instead of dried thyme.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Try using another juice in place of the orange juice. What about a pineapple-orange blend? Be sure to use 100% juice, not a sweetened juice "cocktail".
- Spice up this dish by adding some minced hot peppers to the sauté, or some cayenne pepper, or some hot sauce.
- Store fresh, unpeeled ginger root in a sealed plastic bag (like a ziplock bag) in the vegetable crisper of your fridge.
- To make this an even more economical meal,
soak and cook dried beans.
You'll need about 4 cups/1L cooked beans.
- Use any leftovers as a burrito filling.
Serve this dish with
- a green salad
If you enjoy this black bean recipe, you may also like these other bean recipes:
I am a "stay at home" Dad right now (between jobs), and I have started to cook for my family, and I have been using your "quickest of the quick" recipes. They are amazingly simple and my family loves them! Thanks for helping me be a better husband/father!
Thanks so much for this site. It is a real blessing.
New Brunswick, Canada
I just wanted to give you feedback on your split pea soup.... DELISH!!!!! We can't get enough and it's so simple!! Thanks!
Last night my husband went on and on about how amazing all the recent recipes I have been using are. Those are all thanks to you!!!! I work full time, love to eat healthy, and have a new baby. Your recipes are the best I have tried in a long time and an absolute lifesaver!!! Thank you so much and God Bless!