Easy Pasta Recipe:
Pasta with Marinated Chickpeas and Corn
The great thing about this easy pasta recipe - besides its wonderful taste - is that you do all the prep work in the morning!
When you get home, the sauce is marinated and ready. Just cook the pasta, toss it all together, and enjoy!
I enjoy the variety of textures in this dish almost as much as I enjoy the interesting combination of flavors. The soft cheese, the chewy chickpeas, the juicy corn .... I think I'll make this tonight!
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- canned chickpeas
- balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- dried thyme
- dried oregano
- pasta shells
- in the fridge or freezer
- frozen corn
- mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
Get out your equipment
- a large bowl
- a can opener
- measuring cups and spoons
- a cutting board and sharp knife
- a pasta pot or large saucepan
- a pasta strainer
- a wooden spoon or other mixing spoon
- aluminum foil or a clean towel (for covering the bowl)
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a garlic press (if not, mince the garlic with a sharp knife)
- a rotary cheese grater for the Parmesan
1 can (12 oz/341 mL) cooked chickpeas
1 1/2 cups/375 mL corn
1/4 cup/60 mL balsamic vinegar
3 Tbsp/45 mL olive oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 tsp/2 mL dried thyme
1/2 tsp/2 mL dried oregano
1/2 lb/250 g mozzarella cheese, in small cubes
3/4 lb/375 g (about 5 cups/1250 mL) medium sized pasta shells
1/4 cup/60 mL grated Parmesan cheese
In the morning, combine the chickpeas, corn, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, thyme, oregano and mozzarella in a large bowl.
At suppertime, cook the pasta according to package directions.
Drain the pasta and add it to the bowl.
Toss well to mix.
Add the Parmesan cheese.
- Cook and soak chickpeas from scratch. You'll need about 1 1/2 cups/375 mL cooked chickpeas.
- Use canned corn, or fresh cooked corn kernels, instead of frozen corn.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Try using another vinegar in place of the balsamic vinegar. (I haven't tried this, though, because I love balsamic vinegar!
- Try using another mild cheese instead of the mozzarella.
- What other vegetable could you add, besides (or as well as) the corn?
- Can't find chickpeas? Another name for them is garbanzo beans.
- There is no need to thaw the frozen corn. It will have thawed by the end of the day.
- If you use canned corn or canned chickpeas, be sure to rinse them. Many brands have added salt or other additives.
- I prefer using a block of Parmesan cheese, and grating it as needed. You can also use pre-grated cheese from the deli.
Serve this dish with