- a baking pan or casserole dish
- a bowl
- measuring cups and spoons
- a fork
- a spoon
Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
3 cups/750 mL fresh blueberries
3 cups/750 fresh raspberries
2 Tbsp/30 mL maple syrup
1 cup/250 mL rolled oats
1 cup/250 mL whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp/2 mL cinnamon
1/4 tsp/1 mL ground allspice
1/4 tsp/1 mL ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp/1 mL salt
1/3 cup/75 mL butter, melted
Spread the berries in a baking pan.
Drizzle the maple syrup over the berries.
In a bowl, mix the oats, flour, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and salt with a fork.
Add the melted butter to the bowl.
Mix with a fork until the mixture is evenly damp.
Spoon the oat mixture over the berries.
Pat it down firmly.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, uncovered, until the berries are bubbly and the top is light brown.
- Use frozen berries instead of fresh. Thaw them at least slightly.
- Use another flour (like spelt, oat, or white) instead of whole wheat flour. Or use a mixture.
- Use honey instead of maple syrup.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Use your favorite berries. Strawberries would be good! Or use another fruit, like apples, peaches, or cherries. Or how about adding some rhubarb? Try a combination of fruits and berries. Use your imagination! You can't really go wrong!
- Melt the butter in a saucepan on the stove, in a glass bowl in the microwave, or in an ovenproof bowl in the warm oven.
- If you don't have all of the spices, just use the ones you have - or use none at all. The dessert will still taste great!
If you enjoy this recipe, you may also like these other easy to make dessert recipes: