Green Slime Dip
Whether you're looking for fun Halloween appetizers to serve at a party, or wanting a quick and nutritious snack to feed the kids before they go trick-or-treating, try Green Slime Dip! It's the best cold spinach dip recipe I know - and one of the easiest Halloween recipes.
This easy healthy spinach dip is full of nutritious ingredients, and it looks very ghoulish!
It's a great dip for tortilla chips, or for raw vegetables like carrots, celery and green beans.
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- in the fridge or freezer
- cream cheese
- sour cream
Buy these fresh ingredients
Get out your equipment
- a large bowl
- a saucepan with steamer basket
- a food processor or heavy duty blender
- measuring cups and spoons
- a cutting board and sharp knife
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a garlic press (if not, mince the garlic with a knife)
1 bunch spinach (about 6 oz/170 g)
1 package (4 oz/125 g) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup/125 mL sour cream
1/3 cup/80 mL mild salsa
2 green onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/4 tsp/1 mL salt
1/4 tsp/1 mL pepper
Cut the stems from the spinach.
Wash the spinach in a large bowl.
Steam the spinach until it is bright green.
Shake off any water.
Put it in the blender or food processor.
Add the cream cheese, sour cream, salsa, green onions, garlic, salt and pepper.
Process until the dip is very smooth and has a nice even green color.
- Use frozen spinach instead of fresh. You'll need one 10 oz/300 g package. Be sure to thaw it before using it.
- Use plain yogurt instead of sour cream - or use half yogurt and half sour cream.
- Use finely minced red or white onion instead of green onions.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- For a hotter dip, use a spicy salsa. Or add a bit of diced chili powder, or a shot of hot sauce.
- If you want your dip to have a runny consistency, serve it immediately. To thicken it up a bit, put it in the fridge for an hour or two.
- To soften cream cheese, plan ahead and leave it at room temperature for a couple of hours. Or soften it in the microwave. (See the cream cheese package for exact directions.) Or cut the cream cheese into small cubes and soften them in a double boiler, or in a glass bowl placed over a small saucepan of boiling water.
- I don't recommend trying to make this in a regular blender. You are apt to burn out the motor! Use a heavy duty blender or a food processor.
If you enjoy this Halloween appetizers recipe, you may also like these other Halloween recipes: