Nice to have but not necessary
- a garlic press (if not, mince the garlic with a sharp knife)
- measuring cups and spoons (if not, just estimate)
1 lb/500 g ground beef
1 Tbsp/15 mL vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup frozen corn
2 cups/500 mL
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup/175 mL vegetable stock
2 tsp/10 mL cornstarch
Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
Brown the ground beef in a skillet until no longer pink. Drain off any fat.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a second skillet.
Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft (about 8-10 minutes).
Add the carrots.
Cook for about 5 minutes more.
Add the frozen corn (no need to thaw it).
Cook for another 5 minutes.
While the meat and vegetables are cooking, stir together the mashed potatoes and the egg until they are creamy.
Grease a 9 inch/22 cm pie plate.
Spread the potato mixture into the plate, building up the sides to form a crust.Set this aside.
Add the cooked ground beef to the cooked vegetables.
In a small bowl, mix together the chicken broth and the cornstarch.
Add this to the beef/vegetable mixture.
Add the salt and pepper to taste.
Stir and cook for a few minutes.
Spoon the beef/vegetable mixture into the mashed potato crust, smoothing it out evenly.
Bake for 35 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned on the edges and the filling is hot.
- Use canned corn (drained) instead of frozen.
- Use beef stock or chicken stock in place of the vegetable stock.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- To save time, plan to have this on a night when you have leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge. Or...
- Boil up a big batch of potatoes. Mash them and let them cool. Freeze them in 2 cup/500 mL portions. When you want to make this hamburger potato casserole, take out a container of frozen mashed potatoes and let them thaw.
- I like using a glass pie plate for this recipe. A metal or tin pie plate will work too.
Serve this dish with
If you enjoy this hamburger potato casserole recipe, you may also like these other recipes for ground beef: