South of the Border Lentils
If you are looking for quick and easy lentil recipes, you'll want to try this one. Cooking with lentils is as easy as it gets!
This is one of the quickest recipes I know. Just throw all of the ingredients into a pot, warm them up, and enjoy!
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- canned lentils
- a can of tomato paste
- chili powder
- ground cumin
Get out your equipment
- a saucepan
- a can opener
- measuring cups and spoons
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a garlic press (if not, mince the garlic with a sharp knife)
3 cups/750 mL cooked lentils
3/4 cup/180 mL water
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup/125 mL raisins
1/3 cup/75 mL tomato paste
1 Tbsp/15 mL molasses
1 tsp/5 mL chili powder
1 tsp/5 ml ground cumin
Put all ingredients into a pot.
Bring to a boil.
Simmer for about 15 minutes.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Try using different sweeteners instead of the molasses. How about honey, or maple syrup?
- Experiment with different dried fruits. Dried cranberries would taste nice, or little bits of dried apricots. (Use kitchen shears to cut dried apricots into small bits.)
- Feel free to intensify the spices - or add other spices of your choice.
- Store garlic at room temperature, away from direct sunlight. A special garlic keeper works well.
- You won't need a full can of tomato paste. Freeze the remainder in a small container for next time!
Serve this dish with
- frozen corn
- a green salad
If you enjoy this recipe, you may also like these other lentil recipes: