Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
Here is a wonderfully reliable peanut butter cookie recipe. It's delicious, it's not too sweet, it turns out every time, and it's quick and easy. You don't even have to grease the cookie sheets!
A plate of fresh peanut butter cookies with a glass of cold milk is my idea of the perfect comfort food treat.
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- brown sugar
- whole wheat flour
- baking soda
- in the fridge or freezer
Get out your equipment
- a large mixing bowl
- a smaller bowl
- measuring cups and spoons
- a mixing spoon
- a fork
- cookie sheets
- Nice to have but not necessary
- wire cooling racks
- a metal spatula for removing the cookies from the cookie sheets
1/2 cup/125 mL butter
1/2 cup/125 mL peanut butter
1/2 cup/125 mL lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp/2 mL vanilla
1 1/4 cups/300 mL whole wheat flour
1 tsp/5 mL baking soda
1/2 tsp/2 mL salt
Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, peanut butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the egg. Beat until well mixed.
Add the vanilla. Stir.
Into a separate bowl, put the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir with a fork until well mixed.
Stir the flour mixture into the creamed mixture, a third at a time.
Shape the dough into small balls (about 1 inch/2 cm) and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten them slightly with a fork.
Bake until edges are golden (about 10-15 minutes).
Let cool on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes, and then transfer to cooking racks or plates.
- Use white flour, spelt flour or your favourite flour instead of whole wheat.
- You can use honey in place of the brown sugar, but your cookies will be much softer. I prefer using brown sugar.
Ideas for making this peanut butter cookie recipe your own
- I wonder how these would taste with a few added chocolate chips? Or how about a bit of coconut? (If you are a peanut butter cookie purist, don't add a thing!)
- I use natural peanut butter, made with just organic peanuts. (No salt, no icing sugar, no preservatives. Read the label of the peanut butter you are using now. You may be surprised by what is in there!) Natural organic peanut butter is healthier, and I think it tastes better. For baking, you certainly don't need any added sugar in your peanut butter. Natural peanut butter should be stored in the refrigerator.
- If you do use peanut butter with added sugar, cut down on the amount of sugar you use in this recipe.
- When you are flattening the cookies prior to baking them, dip the fork into some flour after each cookie. This will keep the dough from sticking to the fork.
If you enjoy this peanut butter cookie recipe, you may also like these other recipes: