Shrimp Stir Fry Recipe:
Shrimp with Tomatoes and Spinach
This easy shrimp stir fry recipe makes a great quick supper. It's healthy, colorful and delicious!
Serve this over your favorite grain.
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- olive oil
- dry white wine
- dried basil
Buy these fresh ingredients
- 1 lb/500 g uncooked shrimp
- cherry tomatoes
- spinach (about 1 lb/500 g)
Get out your equipment
- a large skillet
- a cutting board and sharp knife
- measuring cups and spoons
- a bowl
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a slotted spoon
- a garlic press (if not, mince the garlic with a sharp knife)
2 Tbsp/30 mL olive oil
1 lb/500 g uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 cloves garlic, pressed
3/4 cup/180 mL dry white wine
1 1/2 cups/375 mL cherry tomatoes, halved
1 Tbsp/15 mL dried basil
2 cups/500 mL spinach, coarsely chopped
1/4 tsp/1 mL salt
1/4 tsp/1 mL pepper
In a large heavy skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil.
Add the shrimp and cook for about 1 minute.
Turn the shrimp over and cook for another minute until just cooked through.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to a large bowl. (Leave the excess oil in the skillet.)
Add the garlic to the skillet.
Cook for about 30 seconds.
Add the wine.
Turn heat to high and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, basil, spinach, salt and pepper.
Stir gently to mix.
Turn heat to medium.Return the shrimp to the pan and cook just until it is heated through.
Serve over rice or other grains.
- Use grape tomatoes or chopped field tomatoes in place of cherry tomatoes.
- Use 1/4 cup/60 mL of fresh basil instead of dried.
- Use precooked shrimp. (See tip below.)
- Use pre-washed, bagged spinach.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- What other colourful vegetables could you add to this sautéed shrimp recipe? Use your imagination!
- Instead of dry white wine, what else could you use? A sweeter wine? Cider? Apple juice or white grape juice?
- If you use precooked shrimp, add them at the very end. Stir and cook just long enough to warm them.
- To get 2 cups/500 mL of spinach leaves, start with one good-sized bunch of spinach (about 1 lb/500 g). Chop off the stems, wash and rinse the spinach, and chop it coarsely.
Serve this dish over
Just want to say thank you so much for doing this - these recipes are great and you are a lifesaver!
New York, USA
Thank you for this resource - it is invaluable to working (and otherwise really busy) moms and dads!! I really like the recipes - they are simple, yummy, and quick - three "must haves" for me!
I love your recipes and this website. I love getting your emails. Keep up the good work!
I wanted to let you know that the Parmesan Chicken recipe was absolutely wonderful. My son had seconds and ate some the next day for leftovers. My four year old ate it without a fuss also!
West Virginia, USA