Nice to have but not necessary
- a rotary cheese grater for grating the Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp/30 mL butter
1 Tbsp/15 mL whole wheat flour
1 cup/250 mL milk
4 fish fillets, each about 5 oz/150 g
1/3 cup/75 mL white wine
2 Tbsp/30 mL lime juice
2 bananas, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
1/4 cup/60 mL grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350F/175C.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
Add the flour. Stir to mix.
Add the milk.
Turn the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens.
Remove it from the heat.
Arrange the fish fillets in a single layer in a baking dish.
Sprinkle the fish with the white wine, the lime juice, and the salt and pepper to taste.
Pour half of the butter sauce over the fish.
Lay the banana halves on top of the fish.
Pour the remaining sauce over the bananas.
Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over all.
Bake until the fish flakes easily with a fork (25 minutes or more).
- Use any flour in place of the whole wheat.
- Use a non-dairy milk substitute like soy milk or rice milk.
- Use apple juice in place of the wine.
- Use freshly squeezed lime juice in place of the bottled.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Try using another citrus juice in place of the lime juice.
- I like grating a block of Parmesan cheese with a rotary cheese grater. Alternatively, you could use grated Parmesan cheese from the deli. I don't recommend the "grated cheese product" that you'll find on grocery shelves.
Serve this dish with
If you enjoy this baked fish recipe, you may also like these other easy fish recipes: