Baked French Fries
Once you have tried these easy baked french fries, you may never again eat a frozen french fry! Not only are these home made oven baked fries healthier, tastier and more economical, but they can be customized just the way you like them.
If you are using thin-skinned potatoes, there is no need to peel them. Just give them a good scrub with a vegetable brush. If they have thick, tough skin, you'll probably want to peel them.
Baking time will vary, depending on the freshness of your potatoes and the size of your potato strips. Check the potatoes for doneness regularly.
This recipe is easily multiplied.
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- olive oil
- ground cumin
- in the cellar or an unheated room
Get out your equipment
- a baking sheet or large baking dish
- a large bowl
- a mixing spoon or spatula
- a cutting board and sharp knife
- a vegetable brush or potato peeler
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a silicone brush for oiling the baking sheet
- measuring spoons (if not, just estimate - exact amounts don't matter in this recipe)
- a set of tongs for picking up the cooked fries
2 Tbsp/30 mL olive oil
1 Tbsp/15 mL paprika
1 tsp/5 mL ground cumin
2 lb/1 kg potatoes (about 4 medium-sized potatoes)
Preheat the oven to 425F/220C.
Oil a baking sheet or large baking dish.
In a large bowl, mix the olive oil, paprika and cumin.
Cut the potatoes into pieces about 1/2 inch/1 cm thick.
Cut the pieces into strips about 1/2 inch/1 cm wide.
Put the potato strips in the bowl and toss to coat them well with the oil mixture.
Transfer the potato strips to the baking sheet or dish.
Bake until the fries are cooked, stirring every 15 minutes or so.
When the fries are done, they will be evenly browned, crisp on the outside and soft and potatoey on the inside. This will take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes.
Transfer the fries to a serving dish, and sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Use another vegetable oil instead of olive oil.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Experiment with different spices. Instead of paprika and cumin, try 1 clove of garlic and 1 Tbsp/15 mL dried rosemary. Or how about some oregano, or basil, or tarragon? Onion salt?
- The smaller you cut the potatoes, the faster the fries will cook.
Serve this dish with