Nice to have but not necessary
- a rotary cheese grater to grate fresh Parmesan
- kitchen shears for cutting the fish
- a silicone brush for oiling the baking sheet
1/3 cup/75 mL bread crumbs
1/3 cup/75 mL grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp/2 mL paprika
1/2 tsp/2 tsp dried parsley
1 lb/500 g fish fillets
1 Tbsp/15 mL butter, melted
Preheat oven to 450F/230 C.
Grease a baking sheet with vegetable oil.
In a shallow dish, beat the egg.
In another shallow dish, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, paprika, and parsley.
Cut the fish into fingers (about 3 inches long and 1/2 inch wide, or 8 cm long and 1 cm wide).
Dip each strip into the egg, then into the crumb mixture.
Place the fish fingers on a lightly greased baking sheet.
Drizzle the melted butter over the fish.
Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Use fresh, chopped parsley instead of dried.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Make your own bread crumbs. Just toast a piece of your favourite bread, pop it in a blender, and whirl it until the crumbs are the size you want. Or use a piece of slightly stale bread.
- Add your favourite spices to the crumb mix. How about trying some tarragon, or basil?
- To melt the butter, just put it in an oven-proof dish and place it in the preheated oven for a minute or so. Be sure to use oven mitts when removing it!
- I store bread crumbs in the freezer. They stay fresh for a long time!
- I prefer freshly grated Parmesan cheese. You can also use pre-grated Parmesan from the deli department. I don't recommend using the "grated cheese product" you find on the supermarket shelves.
Serve this dish with