Nice to have but not necessary
- an electric mixer (if not, mix the cake ingredients by hand)
- a Pyrex 2 cup/500 mL measuring cup (if not, use a heat-proof bowl)
- a cake tester (if not, use a toothpick)
1 cup/250 mL whole wheat flour
1/2 cup/125 mL sugar
2 Tbsp/30 mL cocoa
2 Tbsp/30 mL baking powder
1/2 tsp/2 mL salt
1/2 cup/125 mL milk
2 Tbsp/30 mL vegetable oil
1 Tbsp/15 mL vanilla
3/4 cup/180 mL packed brown sugar
1/4 cup/60 mL cocoa
1 1/2 cups/375 mL hot water
Grease your crockpot with butter.
In a bowl, mix together all of the cake ingredients.
Beat until smooth.
Put the batter into the crock pot, and pat it down evenly.
In a 2 cup/500 mL Pyrex measuring cup, mix the cocoa and brown sugar.
Add the hot water.
Mix until smooth.
Pour this sauce evenly over the batter.
DO NOT MIX.
Cook on HIGH for about 3 hours or more, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Turn off the crockpot and let the cake sit for half an hour.
To serve, spoon a chunk of cake into a bowl and spoon some sauce over it.
(The sauce will be on the bottom of the crock pot, under the cake.)
- Use another flour in place of the whole wheat.
- Use a non-dairy milk substitute instead of milk.
- Use another vegetable oil instead of canola.
- Grease the slow cooker with oil instead of butter.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Top the pudding cake with whipped cream, or pour milk or cream over each serving. Or how about a scoop of vanilla ice cream?
- If you don't have a cake tester or a toothpick, use a piece of spaghetti to test the cake.
- If the cake cooks for too long, there will be little or no pudding sauce on the bottom of the slow cooker. Check the cake often so that you can turn it off at just the right time.
If you enjoy this recipe, you may also like these other best crock pot recipes: