Best Hamburger Recipe:
Simple is Best!
The best hamburger recipe is the simplest hamburger recipe - and here it is! You can mix up this delicious burger very quickly, with simple ingredients.
You can't go wrong when making homemade hamburgers: just throw all of the ingredients in a bowl, mix them together, form patties, and cook them!
I prefer my burgers grilled on the barbecue, but you can also cook them under the broiler in your oven or in a frying pan on top of the stove.
You can split open the buns and warm them if you like, but you don't have to. You can toast a bun on the grill, under the broiler, or in a toaster or toaster oven.
Burgers are one of my favorite quick meals for summer.
This best hamburger recipe makes 4 or 5 good-sized burgers, or up to 8 smaller burgers.
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- rolled oats
- dried sage
- in the fridge or freezer
- ground beef
- Worcestershire sauce
Buy these fresh ingredients
- hamburger buns
Get out your equipment
- a large mixing bowl
- a cutting board and sharp knife
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a meat thermometer
- measuring cups and spoons (if not, just estimate)
1 lb/500 g lean ground beef
1/4 cup/60 mL rolled oats
2 Tbsp/30 mL minced onion
1 Tbsp/15 mL Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp/5 mL dried sage
1/2 tsp/2 mL salt
1/4 tsp/1 mL pepper
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together.
Form into patties.
Cook until the meat is no longer pink in the centre.
Serve on buns with your favorite condiments. (I like mustard, relish, ketchup, lettuce and slices of fresh tomato.)
- Use bread crumbs in place of the rolled oats.
- Use steak sauce or soy sauce in place of the Worcestershire - or just leave it out.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Let your creativity go wild! There is no limit on what you can add to a hamburger patty! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- crushed pineapple
- grated cheese (mozzarella, Cheddar, feta….)
- lightly beaten eggs
- minced olives
What else can you add?
- Experiment with the spices you add to the meat. How about coriander, thyme, oregano, paprika, tarragon, parsley….
- Get creative with the toppings you put on your burger. Grilled onions and fried mushrooms are a favourite around my house. And then there's bacon, or chili sauce, or pickle slices, or mayonnaise, or hot peppers. I've even heard of people putting fried bananas on a burger!
- I use my clean hands to form the patties. (Actually, I get my children to use their clean hands! This is a great job to assign to the kids!)
- Using a meat thermometer takes the guesswork out of cooking hamburgers. Cook until the interior temperature of the meat is 160F/71C.
Serve this dish with
If you enjoy this best hamburger recipe, you may also like these other recipes for ground beef:
I don't know how you find these great recipes, but when I come to your web site I know I will find something to cook with stuff I already have around the house, I know it will be good and my family will like it, and I know it will be fast and easy to make.
British Columbia, Canada
Kudos to you for doing this for all of us! I know you're just as busy as the rest of us, and yet you make OUR lives easier. Thank you for your time and for your continuous labor of love.
Thanks for your quick meals. I'm a stay home Mom but always on the go. I'm also caregiver to my brother who is a paraplegic so your recipes have been a big help when I'm pressed for time.
I just wanted to thank you for doing this. I can now leave work knowing what we are going to have for supper and it takes a load off my mind.