Cheesy Potato Casserole
Looking for something new to do with potatoes? Try this Cheesy Potato Casserole. It's one of my favorite food processor recipes - but you can make it even if you don't have a food processor.
Using a food processor makes this a quick meal - but I can't exactly call it a healthy one, with all that cream and butter and cheese. Save this for a rare and special occasion!
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- in the fridge or freezer
- half-and-half (light cream)
- cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese
Buy these fresh ingredients
Get out your equipment
- a 9 x 13' baking dish
- a large bowl
- measuring cups and spoons
- a vegetable peeler or vegetable brush
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a food processor (if not, use a hand grater)
- a silicone brush for buttering the baking dish
- a whisk (if not, use a fork)
2 Tbsp/30 mL melted butter
2/3 cup/150 mL half-and-half (light cream)
1/2 cup/125 mL cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups/375 mL grated cheese
1 tsp/5 mL dried thyme
3 large potatoes
Preheat oven to 400F/205C.
Grease a 9x13" baking dish with the butter.
In a large bowl, whisk together the half-and-half and the cream cheese.
Add the eggs to the bowl.
Whisk until smooth.
Grate the cheese.
Add it to the bowl.
Add the thyme, salt and pepper to the bowl.
Grate the potatoes.
Add them to the bowl.
Spread in the baking dish.
Bake until golden brown and very crisp on top (about 50-60 minutes).
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Use your favorite cheese in place of the Cheddar.
- Experiment with different spices in addition to or as well as the thyme. How about basil, oregano, tarragon, parsley….
- There is no need to wash the food processor after grating the cheese and before grating the potatoes.
- You can choose to peel the potatoes or not. (I don't.) If not, give them a good scrub,
- Here are a few methods for softening cream cheese:
- Leave it at room temperature for a couple of hours.
- Beat it with a wooden spoon.
- Put it in a 200F/90C oven for 10 minutes.
- Unwrap it and microwave it at 50% power for 5 seconds at a time.
Serve this dish with