Nice to have but not necessary
- a silicone brush for oiling the baking dish
- a whisk (if not, use a fork)
2 Tbsp/30 mL butter
2 Tbsp/30 mL flour
1 1/2 cups/375 mL milk
2 Tbsp/30 mL cooking sherry
1 cup/250 mL grated Cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp/1 mL salt
1/4 tsp/1 mL pepper
4 medium sized potatoes
1 small onion
2 cups/500 mL small broccoli florets
Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
Oil a square casserole dish.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat.
Add the flour.
Whisk and stir for a minute or so.
Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly until smooth.
Add the sherry, cheese, salt and pepper.
Stir until well mixed.
Turn off the heat and let the pan sit while you prepare the vegetables.
The sauce may thicken or may not slightly.
Thinly slice the potatoes and onion.
Spread about one quarter of the sauce over the bottom of the greased casserole dish.
Spread half the potatoes in the dish.
Spread all of the broccoli and all of the onions in the dish.
Spread about half of the remaining sauce over the vegetables.
Spread the rest of the potatoes over the sauce.
Top with the rest of the sauce.
Bake, covered, for 45 minutes.
Remove the cover and bake for at least 15 minutes more, until the potatoes are tender.
- Use any flour in place of the whole wheat.
- Use any red wine in place of the cooking sherry.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Try substituting another cheese for the Cheddar. How about a mixture of Cheddar and Gouda?
- Try using another vegetable instead of, or as well as, the broccoli.
- Be sure to slice the potatoes very thinly. If you don't, they will take longer to cook.
Serve this dish with