Nice to have but not necessary
2/3 cup/150 mL maple syrup
1/4 cup/60 mL oil
5 Tbsp/75 mL unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp/5 mL cinnamon
1/2 cup/125 mL peanut butter
1 tsp/5 mL vanilla
1 1/2 cups/375 mL rolled oats
Line a baking tray with waxed paper.
Put the maple syrup, oil, cocoa and cinnamon in a saucepan. Stir.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes.
Remove from heat.
Add the peanut butter and vanilla, and stir until the peanut butter has melted.
Add the oats. Stir until well blended.
Drop by heaping teaspoons onto the waxed paper.
Put in the fridge until firm (about 30 minutes) - if you can wait that long!
- Use honey instead of maple syrup. (Please don't use "pancake syrup". It's not the same thing at all!)
- Use another nut butter, like cashew butter or almond butter, instead of the peanut butter.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Experiment with different spices instead of, or as well as, the cinnamon. How about nutmeg? Or leave the spices out completely.
- Try adding some raisins or other dried fruit when you add the oats.
- You can wipe off the waxed paper and reuse it when you make another batch of these cookies. If you prefer not to use waxed paper, grease your cookie sheet very generously.
If you enjoy this chocolate no bake cookies recipe, you may also like these other no bake cookies recipes: