Crockpot Soup Recipes:
Hearty Split Pea Soup
This is one of my favorite crockpot soup recipes. This soup is economical, filling, colorful and so tasty.
This is a great way to use up leftover cooked ham.
It takes just a few minutes to put together. Just toss everything in the slow cooker, and off you go! When you get home, your delicious supper is ready and waiting for you.
It's important that the split peas be completely cooked - so soft that they fall apart. This may take more or less time, depending on your crockpot and on the age of the split peas. The first time you make this, give yourself some extra time just in case!
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- dried split peas
- bay leaves
- in the fridge or freezer
Buy these fresh ingredients
Get out your equipment
- a slow cooker
- a cutting board and sharp knife
- a vegetable peeler or brush
- Nice to have but not necessary
- measuring cups and spoons (if not, just make a good estimate)
- a garlic press (if not, just mince the garlic with a knife)
2 cups/500 mL dried split peas
2 cups/500 mL diced cooked ham
2 medium-sized potatoes, cubed
3 cups/750 mL diced carrot
2 cups/500 mL diced onion
2 garlic cloves, pressed
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp/2 mL salt
1/4 tsp/1 mL pepper
8 cups/2 litres water
Combine all ingredients in your crockpot.
Cook for 8 to 10 hours (or more) on LOW, or until peas are soft.
Remove and discard the bay leaves before serving.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- For a vegetarian soup, just leave out the ham.
- Other than that, I can't think of a single way to improve upon this soup! If you can, please let me know!
- As a general rule, one hour on HIGH equals 2 hours on LOW. Turn the slow cooker to HIGH if you need to speed cooking time.
- To test that the soup is ready, scoop out a bit and put it in a bowl. Stir it with a spoon. The peas should be so mushy that they fall apart completely. If not, turn the slow cooker to HIGH and cook for a bit longer.
Serve this dish with
If you enjoy this recipe, you may also like these other slow cooker recipes: