Easy Crock Pot Recipes:
Simple Salmon Pie
This is one of my favorite easy crock pot recipes. It is very easy to make, and it tastes great!
- For the most economical meal, use canned pink salmon.
- For the most delicious meal, use canned sockeye salmon.
I usually compromise and use one can of each!
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- canned salmon
- dried parsley
- dried dill
- in the fridge or freezer
- bread crumbs
- bottled lemon juice
Get out your equipment
- a slow cooker
- a bowl
- a can opener
- a cutting board and sharp knife
- measuring cups and spoons
- a fork
2 cans (each 7 oz/213 g) salmon, drained
1 small onion, diced
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup/50 mL bread crumbs
2 Tbsp/30 mL milk
1 Tbsp/15 mL lemon juice
1 tsp/5 mL dried parsley (or 1 Tbsp/15 mL fresh)
1 tsp/5 mL dried dill (or 1 Tbsp/15 mL fresh)
1/2 tsp/2 mL pepper
Grease your crock pot with butter.
Use a fork to flake the salmon into a bowl.
Add the onion, egg, bread crumbs, milk, lemon juice, parsley, dill and pepper.
Stir gently to combine everything well.
Put into the crock pot and press down evenly with the back of a spoon.
Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours.
- Use a non-dairy milk substitute, like rice milk or soy milk, in place of the milk.
- Use freshly squeezed lemon juice instead of bottled.
- Use 1 Tbsp/15 mL fresh parsley instead of dried.
- Use 1 Tbsp/15 mL fresh dill instead of dried.
- Use oil, instead of butter, for greasing the crock pot.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Try using canned tuna instead of salmon.
- Make your own seasoned bread crumbs.
- Add your choice of spices. How about tarragon, garlic powder, oregano or basil?
- If your crockpot has a removable stoneware insert, you can do all of the preparation the night before. Follow the directions as listed, and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, place the stoneware in the crockpot, turn it on, and look forward to coming home to a tasty supper!
- One hour on HIGH is approximately equal to two hours on LOW - so it will take just 2 or 3 hours to cook this on the higher setting.
- I store breadcrumbs in the freezer, where they will stay fresh for months.
- I always taste breadcrumbs before I add them to any recipe. Once I used stale breadcrumbs, and ruined an entire meal!
Serve this dish with