Easy Quick Meals:
Tuna Celery Crunch
This was one of the first easy quick meals I learned to make. I made this a lot when I was a student, just learning to cook. It's still as tasty and economical - and fast - as it was then. I can have this one on the table in 20 minutes!
Canned tuna recipes like this one are perfect for those nights when I haven't planned ahead. I always have a can of tuna in the cupboard! I serve this over rice or noodles.
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- whole wheat flour
- canned tuna
- in the fridge or freezer
Buy these fresh ingredients
Get out your equipment
- a can opener
- a saucepan
- a cutting board and sharp knife
- measuring cups and spoons
- a mixing spoon
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a grater for the cheese (if not, just cut the cheese into very small cubes)
3 Tbsp/45 mL butter
3 cups/750 mL chopped celery
3 Tbsp/45 mL flour
1/2 tsp/2 mL salt
2 cups/500 mL milk
1 cup/250 mL grated cheese
2 cans (each 7 oz/198 g) tuna, drained
In a saucepan, melt the butter.
Add the celery.
Sauté until the celery is bright green but still crisp.
Add the flour and salt to the saucepan.
Gradually stir the milk into the saucepan, stirring.
Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the sauce comes to a boil and thickens.
Add the cheese and tuna to the saucepan.
Cook, stirring, until heated through.
- Use any flour in place of the whole wheat flour.
- Use a non-dairy milk substitute in place of the milk.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Experiment with different cheeses instead of - or as well as - the Cheddar.
- Try adding different vegetables to the mix. How about some lightly steamed broccoli? Use your imagination!
- If you are going to serve this over rice, put the rice on to cook before you begin making the Tuna Celery Crunch. I use a rice cooker; it makes perfect rice every time!
Serve this dish with