Nice to have but not necessary
- a rice cooker (if not, cook the rice in a pot)
1 lb/500 g ground beef
1 cup/250 mL chopped onion
1 can (14 oz/412 mL) diced tomatoes, not drained
1 Tbsp/15 mL chili powder
1 1/2 cups/375 mL cooked rice
1 cup/250 mL shredded lettuce
1 cup/250 mL shredded Cheddar cheese
First of all, before gathering any other supplies, put the rice on to cook.
Brown the beef and onion together in a skillet. Drain any fat.
Add the tomatoes and chili powder.
Cook over medium heat.
The rice should be ready! Stir the cooked rice into the skillet.
Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 5 minutes, until heated through, and any liquid is absorbed.
Spoon into individual bowls.
Top each bowl with lettuce and cheese.
- Use whole canned tomatoes (making sure to break them up as you cook them), or use fresh chopped tomatoes.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- To make this meal more spicy, add a bit of cayenne pepper.
- Experiment with different cheeses instead of, or mixed with, the Cheddar.
- My current favourite rice is Basmati - but you can use any variety of cooked rice in this recipe.
- Plan to make this meal on a night when you have leftover cooked rice in the fridge.
- Use the grater to shred the cheese, but not to shred the lettuce. (It will get all mushy.) Cut the lettuce into strips using a sharp knife.
Serve this dish with
If you enjoy this recipe, you may also like these other simple ground beef recipes: