More Easy Chicken Recipes:
Chicken with Dried Fruit
Looking for more easy chicken recipes that are a bit out of the ordinary? Give this one a try!
This recipe makes a delicious sauce that I like to eat over rice.
The chicken is moist and flavorful.
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- cider vinegar
- ground nutmeg
- whole wheat flour
- in the fridge or freezer
- orange juice
- chicken pieces (about 1 1/2 lbs/750 g)
Get out your equipment
- a saucepan
- a paper or plastic bag
- a skillet with a lid
1 cup/250 mL raisins
1 cup/250 mL orange juice
2 Tbsp/30 mL cider vinegar
1 Tbsp/15 mL honey
1/4 tsp/1 mL nutmeg
6 Tbsp/90 mL whole wheat flour
about 1 1/2 lbs/750 g chicken pieces
4 Tbsp/60 mL butter
Put the raisins, orange juice, vinegar, honey and nutmeg in a saucepan.
Cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, put the flour, salt and pepper in a plastic bag.
Melt the butter in a skillet that has a cover.
Place the chicken pieces in the bag, one at a time, and shake to coat them evenly with flour.
Place the chicken pieces in the skillet.
Brown them on all sides.
Remove any fat from the pan.
Pour the sauce over the chicken.
Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until cooked (at least 20 minutes, probably more).
- Use white vinegar or red wine vinegar.
- Use maple syrup instead of honey.
- Use any flour (white, spelt, kamut, etc.) instead of whole wheat.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Use your favorite dried fruit. How about a combination of dried cranberries and apricots? Or dried blueberries and prunes? (Larger fruits like apricots and prunes will need to be cut into smaller pieces.)
- I like cooking in cast iron pans. It is the world's best non-stick cookware!
- Use kitchen shears for cutting larger pieces of dried fruit.
- Cooking time will vary widely, depending on the size and thickness of your chicken pieces. I like to use a meat thermometer to insure that the chicken is fully cooked. The thermometer should register 170F/77C in the white meat, and 185/85C in the dark meat.
Looking for even more easy chicken recipes? Try these:
I have been receiving your recipes for a few months now and LOVE them!!! I love reading them and trying them. My ideas sometimes get a little stale and your choice of ingredients is always thought provoking. Your recipes are practical and very tasty. Keep up your fantastic work!!! It is most appreciated.
Johannesburg, South Africa.
Thanks for your help in bringing variety into our meal-time and for making that task easy on the mother of two kiddos aged three and 5 months.
Thank you for making my life easier! I have fibromyalgia which makes me very tired all the time. I need quick and easy recipes since I don't have the energy to make anything too complicated. Your recipes are a godsend.
I came upon your site for the first time yesterday and decided to make the Savory Tomato Fish Fillets. I am a novice cook and it was only the second or third recipe I have EVER made but it turned out delicious!! My boyfriend was so impressed and so was I!
New York, USA