Pasta Sauce Recipe:
Looking for a healthy pasta sauce recipe that your kids will love? Looking for a way to get them to eat spinach? Here's the answer!
This quick meal is easy to make, fun to eat, and good for you! I use spaghettini in this recipe because it cooks faster than spaghetti does.
You'll need a sturdy blender or a food processor. Don't use a regular blender; you might burn out the motor. (I'm speaking from experience!)
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- prepared vegetable broth
- in the fridge or freezer
- Parmesan cheese
Buy these fresh ingredients
Get out your equipment
- a pasta pot or large saucepan
- measuring cups
- a saucepan with steamer basket
- another saucepan
- a food processor or heavy-duty blender
- a pasta strainer
- a large serving bowl
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a rotary cheese grater (a regular grater works fine, too)
1 lb/500 g spaghettini
2 cups/500 mL spinach, washed and stemmed
1 cup/250 mL vegetable broth
1/2 cup/125 mL milk
1/2 cup/125 mL grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup/60 mL butter
Cook the spaghettini according to package directions.
Meanwhile, steam the spinach until it is just wilted.
Warm the vegetable broth in a pan on the stove.
Place the spinach, broth, milk and cheese in the blender.
Blend until smooth.
Drain the cooked spaghettini.
Place it in a serving bowl.
Add the butter to the serving bowl.
Toss with the spaghettini.
Add the sauce.
Toss until mixed well.
- Use chicken broth in place of vegetable broth.
- Use a non-dairy milk substitute instead of milk.
- Use spaghetti - or your favorite pasta - instead of spaghettini.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Experiment with using other green vegetables instead of spinach. Swiss chard or kale would work. How about well-steamed broccoli?
- I prefer using a block of Parmesan, and grating it as I need it. You can also use pre-grated Parmesan from the deli. Avoid the "grated cheese product" that is found on the grocery shelf. Its taste is as bad as its nutritional value!
Serve this dish with
I don't know how you find these great recipes, but when I come to your web site I know I will find something to cook with stuff I already have around the house, I know it will be good and my family will like it, and I know it will be fast and easy to make.
British Columbia, Canada
Kudos to you for doing this for all of us! I know you're just as busy as the rest of us, and yet you make OUR lives easier. Thank you for your time and for your continuous labor of love.
Thanks for your quick meals. I'm a stay home Mom but always on the go. I'm also caregiver to my brother who is a paraplegic so your recipes have been a big help when I'm pressed for time.
I just wanted to thank you for doing this. I can now leave work knowing what we are going to have for supper and it takes a load off my mind.