Quick Easy Tofu Recipes:
Tofu Feta Pie
Searching for quick easy tofu recipes? This is one of my favorite ways to cook tofu. The soft sweet onions blend with the salty feta cheese to make a deliciously unique flavor.
This dish is similar to a tofu quiche - but the recipe is much easier. Since there is no crust to make, I can have Tofu Feta Pie in the oven in less than 20 minutes.
Did you know that you can freeze tofu? Freezing tofu removes some of its liquid, making it easier to crumble - which is just what you want for this recipe.
To freeze tofu, drain off the water in the package. Place in a sealed container or freezer bag and put in the freezer for up to 6 months. You can crumble the frozen block of tofu if you like, but it would be easier to thaw it first.
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- in the fridge or freezer
- feta cheese
- unsweetened apple juice
Buy these fresh ingredients
Get out your equipment
- a pie plate (I prefer a glass pie plate.)
- a skillet
- a cutting board and sharp knife
- a small bowl
- measuring cups and spoons
Preheat oven to 350F/175C.
16 saltine crackers, crushed
2 Tbsp/30 mL butter
1 large red onion, sliced
1 lb/500 g firm tofu, crumbled
2 Tbsp/30 mL tamari
8 oz/250 g feta cheese
1/4 cup/60 mL water
1/4 cup/60 mL apple juice
Grease a pie plate.
Spread half of the crushed crackers in the pie plate.
In a skillet, melt the butter.
Sauté the onion in the skillet until soft.
Spread it in the pie plate.
Spread the tofu over the onions.
Sprinkle with the tamari.
In a small bowl, mix the feta with the remaining crushed crackers.
Spread this over the tofu.
Mix together the water and apple juice.
Sprinkle this over the pie to moisten it.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden.
- Use soy sauce instead of tamari.
- Use any variety of sweet onion (Vidalia, Walla Walla or your favourite) in place of the red onion. Don't use a hot onion, though.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- What about mixing in another variety of cheese as well as the feta?
- Try using different types of crackers.
- Experiment with different liquids in place of the apple juice. Hmmm….what about some white wine?
- To crumble tofu, use your clean hands. Or you could dice the tofu with a knife instead.
Serve this dish with