Rice Side Dish Recipes:
Looking for some easy rice side dish recipes? Here's a brown rice casserole that is colorful, quick and delicious.
If you put the rice on to cook before you start assembling the other ingredients, this doesn't take long to make. (You'll need 8 cups/2 L cooked rice. Read the package directions to see how much uncooked rice you need.)
This is one of the prettiest rice recipes I know.
The leftovers make a great lunch the following day!
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- canned crushed pineapple
- brown basmati rice
- cider vinegar
- in the fridge or freezer
Get out your equipment
- a small saucepan
- measuring cups and spoons
- a wooden spoon or mixing spoon
- a can opener
- a large bowl
- a baking dish
- aluminum foil
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a grater for the ginger (if not, mince the ginger with a sharp knife)
- a garlic press (if not, mince the garlic too)
- a rice cooker (highly recommended!)
2 Tbsp/30 mL butter
1 Tbsp/15 mL freshly grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tsp/5 mL salt
1/2 tsp/2 mL turmeric
1/4 tsp/1 mL ground allspice
1/4 tsp/1 mL nutmeg
1 can (14 oz/398 mL) crushed pineapple, undrained
8 cups/2 L cooked rice
3 Tbsp/45 mL cider vinegar
Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter.
Add the ginger, and cook over medium heat for several minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the garlic, salt, turmeric, allspice and nutmeg.
Sauté until the garlic is pale gold (about 1 more minute).
Add the pineapple, and cook for another 5 minutes.
Transfer to a large bowl.
Add the cooked rice and the vinegar.
Transfer to a baking dish.
Cover tightly with foil.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Dust with paprika.
- Use your favorite rice in place of the brown basmati.
- Use another vinegar instead of the cider vinegar.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- What other spices could you add? How about some cloves, or cinnamon?
- How about adding some nuts or seeds to the casserole?
- Put the rice on well in advance, so that it is cooked by the time you finish assembling the other ingredients.
- If you are in a rush, make the sauté and stir in the rice. Add the vinegar and stir to mix. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle on the paprika. (Skip the part where you bake the casserole in the oven.) If you have time, though, do bake the casserole. It tastes best that way.
Serve this dish with