Rice Salad Recipe:
Mango, Salmon and Brown Rice Salad
This easy rice salad recipe makes a delicious and refreshing side dish that is substantial enough to be a complete meal. I like to make this on days when it is too hot to turn on the oven.
Sockeye salmon makes the most attractive dish, but pink salmon (or any other variety of canned salmon) works well too.
You'll need to plan ahead to make this dish. You'll need cooked and cooled rice, and you'll need to let the completed salad refrigerate for a couple of hours before you eat it. I like to make this in the evening to eat the following day.
This recipe is easily doubled. You might want to make lots; the leftovers are great for lunch!
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- canned salmon
- short grain brown rice
- cider vinegar
- in the fridge or freezer
Buy these fresh ingredients
Get out your equipment
- a can opener
- a cutting board and sharp knife
- a large bowl
- measuring cups and spoons
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a rice cooker (if not, use a saucepan)
1 can (14 oz/418 g) salmon, drained and flaked
1 large mango, peeled and cubed
2 cups cooked brown rice, cooled
3 Tbsp/45 mL lime juice
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
1/4 tsp/1 mL black pepper
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.
Refrigerate for several hours.
To serve, place a lettuce leaf on each plate and heap it with rice salad.
- Use your favourite rice in place of the short grain brown. (I like brown basmati. White rice works, too.)
- Use your favourite vinegar in place of the cider vinegar.
- Use fresh cooked salmon instead of canned.
- Use freshly squeezed lime juice instead of bottled.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Add other fresh or canned fruits. How about some chunks of pineapple or papaya?
- Experiment with other citrus juices in place of lime juice.
- A rice cooker makes cooking rice very easy! Once I tried a rice cooker, I never went back to cooking rice in a pot. Just follow the rice cooker instructions (which will be something like "Add rice and water. Press the lever.") That's all there is to making perfect rice every time.
- Be sure that your mango is ripe. It should have a pleasant fragrance and should indent slightly when you press it with your thumb.
- To slow down a perfectly ripe mango from ripening further, put it in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
Serve this dish with
- Chicken with Lime-Ginger Sauce
- steamed broccoli
- a green salad
If you enjoy this rice salad recipe, you may also like these other salad recipes:
Thanks a lot for these recipes! Since my mom started working full time, I have taken over cooking dinner. It’s a real help to have these on hand! The directions are straightforward for an amateur like me, and the cooking doesn’t cut into my homework time. Thanks again!
Just want to say thank you so much for doing this - these recipes are great and you are a lifesaver!
New York, USA
Thank you so much. These recipes have been life-savers for me and my family.
I just wanted to pass on how amazing your meal planning ideas are. I used to sit for at least an hour a week trying to come up with new and interesting ideas for meals for my family. Now that I'm using your meals, the stress is gone and I can spend my time doing all of the other things that are required of a very busy mom. My kids and my husband are actually enjoying the meals...you can't get it any better than that! Thank you so much!
British Columbia, Canada