Oven Fried Chicken Recipe:
Delicious Hot or Cold!
This oven fried chicken recipe is one of my favorite easy meals. It's very quick to prepare, it's much healthier than deep-fried chicken, and it tastes wonderful! It's one of my favorite
picnic food ideas
and it's a perfect food to take camping. It's easy to eat with your fingers, too!
This chicken leg recipe is delicious hot or cold.
When I serve it hot, I like to have it with mashed potatoes and broccoli.
Served cold, this oven fried chicken recipe is easy to take on picnics.
When we go camping, I like to take this along (cold, in the cooler) for the first evening's meal. It is so nice to arrive at the campsite, set up the tent, and have supper all ready to eat!
For more camping food ideas, click here.
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- whole wheat flour
- in the fridge or freezer
- sesame seeds
- chicken legs (about 2 lb/1 kg)
- bottled lemon juice
Get out your equipment
- a baking dish (or dishes), big enough to hold all of the chicken legs in a single layer
- a shallow bowl
- a sturdy plastic or paper bag
1/4 cup/60 mL melted butter
1/2 cup/125 mL milk
1/2 cup/125 mL whole wheat flour
1/4 cup/60 mL sesame seeds
2 tsp/10 mL paprika
1/4 tsp/1 mL salt
1/4 tsp/1 mL pepper
2 lb/1 kg chicken pieces
1/4 cup/50 mL lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350F/175C.
Put the melted butter into the baking dish.
Pour the milk into a shallow dish.
Put the flour, sesame seeds, paprika, salt and pepper into a plastic bag.
Holding the bag closed, shake it until everything is well mixed.
Dip a piece of chicken into the milk.
Put the chicken into the bag. Shake until it is well coated.
Place the chicken in the melted butter in the baking dish.
Repeat until you've coated all of the chicken.
Sprinkle any leftover flour mix over the chicken.
Drizzle the chicken with the lemon juice.
Bake until the chicken is no longer pink inside (about one hour).
- Use olive oil instead of melted butter.
- Use soy milk, rice milk or another non-dairy milk.
- Use white flour, spelt flour or another flour.
- Use any chicken pieces instead of just chicken legs.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Add your favorite spices to the flour mix. (I wonder how oregano would taste? Or tarragon?)
- Experiment with another citrus juice instead of the lemon juice. (Lime juice might work well!)
- Remove the skin, or leave it on, as you choose.
- Put the butter in the baking dish and set it in the warm oven while you get the other ingredients ready. It will have melted by the time you need it.
- Turn the chicken over once during cooking, so that both sides are equally moist.
- To take this on a picnic or camping trip, plan ahead. Make this the day before you leave. When it is cooked, let it cool and then refrigerate overnight. Keep it cold in a cooler until you get where you are going.
- If you are taking this on a picnic, don't forget the napkins!
If you enjoy this oven fried chicken recipe, you may also like these other very easy chicken recipes:
Thanks a lot for these recipes! Since my mom started working full time, I have taken over cooking dinner. It’s a real help to have these on hand! The directions are straightforward for an amateur like me, and the cooking doesn’t cut into my homework time. Thanks again!
Just want to say thank you so much for doing this - these recipes are great and you are a lifesaver!
New York, USA
Thank you so much. These recipes have been life-savers for me and my family.
I just wanted to pass on how amazing your meal planning ideas are. I used to sit for at least an hour a week trying to come up with new and interesting ideas for meals for my family. Now that I'm using your meals, the stress is gone and I can spend my time doing all of the other things that are required of a very busy mom. My kids and my husband are actually enjoying the meals...you can't get it any better than that! Thank you so much!
British Columbia, Canada