Oatmeal Shortbread Recipe
Is there anyone who doesn't love shortbread and need the perfect shortbread recipe? This oatmeal shortbread is more filling than traditional light shortbread. It's a substantial snack.
We like to take these squares, along with a thermos of tea, when we are cross-country skiing or tobogganing. These squares also look great on a tray of baked holiday treats.
I use a square 8 inch x 8 inch (20 cm x 20 cm) pan. This makes a thick shortbread. If you prefer a thinner shortbread, use a 9 inch x 9 inch (22 cm x 22 cm) pan.
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- brown sugar
- whole wheat flour
- rolled oats
- in the fridge or freezer
Get out your equipment
- a large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- a square baking pan
- a mixing spoon
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a flexible metal spatula (for removing the squares from the pan)
1 cup/250 mL butter, softened
3/4 cup/180 mL brown sugar
1 1/2 cups/375 mL whole wheat flour
1 cup/250 mL rolled oats
Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
Grease a square baking pan.
In a large bowl, mix the butter and sugar until smooth.
Add the flour. Mix well.
Add the oats. Mix well until everything is smoothly blended.
Press the dough into the greased pan.
Bake until the shortbread is golden and the edges are browned
(about 20-25 minutes).
Remove from the oven and immediately slice into squares.
Leave in the pan until completely cool.
- Use another flour (spelt, white, etc. - or a mixture) instead of the whole wheat flour.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Do you know, I can't think of any way to improve upon this recipe! It's simple and perfect as it is.
- I save the wrappers from blocks of butter and use them to grease baking pans. There is always a bit of butter sticking to the wrapper. Just rub this all over the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Use your clean hands to mix up the dough.
- If you are using a non-stick baking pan, do not use a metal knife to cut the squares. Use a plastic knife so that you don't scratch the pan's surface.
- Be sure to cut the squares as soon as they come out of the oven, while they are nice and soft. Once they cool and harden, they will be much harder to cut.
If you enjoy this shortbread recipe, you may also like these other recipes: