Thanksgiving Appetizer Recipes:
If you're looking for easy Thanksgiving appetizer recipes that are fun to make, give this Crocodile Cuke a try! He makes an attractive and whimsical centerpiece.
You'll need some sturdy toothpicks for this recipe.
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- bottled green olives
- bottled dill pickles
- in the fridge or freezer
Buy these fresh ingredients
- an English cucumber
- a red pepper
Get out your equipment
- a sharp knife
- a cutting board
- a butter knife
1 English cucumber
a few cashews
1 slice of red pepper
stuffed green olives
2 dill pickles
cubes of Cheddar cheese
Use a sharp knife to cut a slit lengthwise down the middle of the cucumber.
That makes the crocodile's mouth.
Use a butter knife to make small slits where you want the teeth to be.
Insert cashew pieces for teeth.
Insert the red pepper slice for the tongue.
Use toothpicks to attach two stuffed olives for the eyes.
Cut the dill pickles in half, lengthwise, for the legs.
Place these beside the body.
You may want to attach them with toothpicks.
Spear cubes of cheese and more olives on toothpicks.
Stick these onto the crocodile's back.
- Use a field cucumber instead of an English cucumber. (Your crocodile will be a short one, though!)
- Use sliced almonds or another variety of nut in place of the cashews.
- Use gherkins or another long pickle instead of dill pickles.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Use another type of cheese instead of, or as well as, the Cheddar.
- As well as cheese cubes and olives, what else could you put on the toothpicks? How about pickled onions? Grapes? Small cherry tomatoes?
- Be sure to get the kids to help with this recipe! This is the easiest and most enjoyable of all the Thanksgiving appetizer recipes.
- Prepare extra toothpicks with olives and cubes of cheese. When all of the toothpick tidbits have been removed and devoured, you can replace them with a fresh supply.
- When all of the toothpick tidbits have been eaten, you can cut the cucumber into slices and eat those too.
If you enjoy this recipe, you may also like these other appetizer recipes: