Nice to have but not necessary
- a whisk for mixing the oil and vinegars (if not, use a fork)
- a rotary cheese grater
3 cups/750 mL rotini
2 tsp/10 mL red wine vinegar
2 tsp/10 mL balsamic vinegar
3 Tbsp/45 mL olive oil
3 cups/750 mL chopped tomatoes
1 cup/250 mL frozen corn
1/4 cup/60 mL green onions, diced
1/4 cup/60 mL fresh basil, chopped
1/4 tsp/1 mL salt
1/4 tsp/1 mL pepper
1/4 cup/60 mL grated Parmesan cheese
In the large pot, cook the rotini according to the package directions.
Drain and return it to the pot.
Cover to keep it warm.
Meanwhile, in the small saucepan, cook the frozen corn.
In the large bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, the balsamic vinegar and the olive oil.
Add the chopped tomatoes, cooked corn, green onions and basil.
Add the cooked rotini to the bowl.
Add salt and pepper.
Top each serving with grated Parmesan.
- Use another chunky pasta (like penne or fusilli) instead of rotini. Or use spaghetti, or macaroni.
- Use cider vinegar, or your favourite vinegar, in place of the red wine vinegar.
- Use corn fresh from the cob.
- Use pregrated Parmesan cheese instead of grating your own. (Please don't use the "grated cheese product" that is found on the grocery shelf.)
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- If you have the time and the inclination, you might want to seed the tomatoes. (I never do.)
- Add other colourful vegetables. How about fresh green peas?
- Experiment with other fresh herbs instead of - or as well as - the basil. How about fresh parsley?
- How about using halved cherry tomatoes instead of chopped tomatoes?
- If you are grating your own Parmesan, a rotary cheese grater works very well. It's fun to use, too! I put the grater on the table and let each person grate his or her own cheese. If you don't have a rotary grater, a regular metal grater works just fine - but you may want to grate the cheese ahead of time and just let the diners spoon it onto their pasta.
Serve this dish with
If you enjoy this vegetable pasta recipe, you may also like these other easy pasta recipes: