Apple Cider Vinegar Salad Dressing
Here is an easy apple cider vinegar salad dressing that you can make in a flash. Just put all of the ingredients in a jar, give a shake, and serve! Add your own choice of spices for a personalized oil and vinegar salad dressing.
Once you know how to make homemade salad dressing, you'll never want to buy bottled dressing again!
Homemade salad dressing
- is more economical
- is healthier
- tastes better
- uses fewer resources
Since making salad dressing is so easy, you can make just enough for a meal or two - no more old outdated bottles of dressing hiding at the back of the fridge!
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- cider vinegar
- vegetable oil
- dried basil
- dried oregano
- in the fridge or freezer
Get out your equipment
- a garlic press
- measuring cups and spoons
- a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a salad dressing bottle or small pitcher
- a tiny whisk (for mixing the dressing in the pitcher before serving)
1/4 cup/60 mL cider vinegar
2/3 cup/150 mL vegetable oil
1/2 tsp/2 mL salt
1/2 tsp/2 mL sugar
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/4 tsp/1 mL pepper
1/2 tsp/2 mL basil
1/2 tsp/2 mL oregano
1/2 tsp/2 mL lemon juice
1 Tbsp/15 mL water
Place all of the ingredients in the jar.
Fasten the lid securely.
Shake the jar until the ingredients are well combined.
Pour the salad dressing into a salad dressing bottle, or into a small pitcher for serving.
Mix well before each use.
- Use another vinegar in place of the cider vinegar.
- Use fresh basil and fresh oregano in place of the dried herbs. You'll need about 1 tsp/5 mL or more of each.
- Use fresh lemon juice instead of bottled juice.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Add your own selection of herbs. Be creative! How about some thyme, or tarragon, or parsley? I wonder how a pinch of curry powder would work? Use your imagination!
- The oil and vinegar layers will separate quickly. Be sure to mix the dressing thoroughly just before serving. If it is in a bottle or jar, give it a good shake. If it is in a pitcher, stir it well with a tiny whisk.
If you enjoy this apple cider vinegar salad dressing recipe, you may also like these other salad dressing recipes: