Baked Chicken Recipe:
Sweet Barbecued Chicken
Looking for a new baked chicken recipe? This one is delicious!
If you are craving barbecued chicken, but don't want to get out the barbecue, just cook this easy meal in the oven!
This recipe makes a lot! If you're feeding a smaller crowd, just halve the amount of sauce. (Unless you like your chicken with extra sauce! In that case, follow the recipe as is, and just use less chicken.)
I like to make my own homemade
but you can also use your favorite purchased sauce.
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- barbecue sauce
- red wine vinegar
- maple syrup
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- in the fridge or freezer
- chicken pieces (about 3 lbs/1.5 kg)
- fresh ginger
Get out your equipment
- a baking dish (or dishes), large enough that you can spread out the chicken in a single layer
- a medium-sized bowl
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a garlic press (if not, just mince the garlic with a sharp knife)
3 lbs/1.5 kg chicken pieces
1/2 cup/125 mL barbecue sauce
1/4 cup/60 mL tamari
1/4 cup/60 mL red wine vinegar
1/4 cup/60 mL maple syrup
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 Tbsp/15 mL chili powder
1 Tbsp/15 mL grated fresh ginger
1 tsp/5 mL ground cumin
Preheat oven to 350F/175C.
Arrange chicken pieces in a baking pan, in a single layer.
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the barbecue sauce, tamari, red wine vinegar, maple syrup, garlic, chili powder, ginger and cumin.
Pour this sauce evenly over the chicken.
Turn the chicken pieces so that both sides are coated with sauce.
Bake until chicken is no longer pink inside (about 1 hour).
- Use soy sauce instead of tamari.
- Use honey instead of maple syrup.
- Use about 1 tsp/5 mL dried ginger instead of fresh.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Try different varieties of vinegar. How about malt vinegar, or balsamic?
- Store garlic at room temperature, in a shaded place. It's best if air can flow freely around it. A special garlic keeper works well.
- Ginger will stay fresh for weeks if you store it in a zipped plastic bag in the veggie crisper of your fridge.
If you enjoy this baked chicken recipe, you may also like these other very easy chicken recipes:
Thanks so much for your wonderful recipes. They've all been a hit with my family! I'm a new wife/mom who doesn't have a domestic bone in her body, so I am very grateful for what you do. Keep up the good work!
Thank you so much for everything that you are doing Ellen. You are truly helping so many of us who can't think straight enough to put a meal together.
I just wanted to say that you put so many awesome recipes on here, and it really does help simplify dinner time for me. My favorites are the Sweet Lemony Tomato chicken (unlike any chicken I've ever had!) and the Garlic and Balsamic Chicken. It is divine! Thank you so much for what you do! And keep 'em coming!
This is truly one of the best sites in the world. Since I started coming to your site, my wife thinks I am a hero in the kitchen. I used to hate cooking. Now I just check your site before doing our shopping to see what new thing I can add. Thank you so much for your generousity, you truly are a blessing to me, my wife and our marriage.
Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa