Baked Fish Recipes:
Baked Fish with Creamy Dill Sauce
This is one of my favorite baked fish recipes. It is fancy enough for a special dinner, but takes almost no time to prepare!
This easy recipe for fish works well with any mild white fish: cod, sole, halibut, or your favorite.
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- dried dill
- in the fridge or freezer
Buy these fresh or frozen ingredients
- fish fillets (1 lb/500 g)
Get out your equipment
- a baking dish, large enough to hold the fish in a single layer
- measuring cups and spoons
- a small bowl
- a mixing spoon
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a silicone brush for greasing the baking dish
Preheat oven to 425F/220C.
1 Tbsp/15 mL butter, melted
1 lb/500 g fish fillets
1/2 cup/125 mL sour cream
2 Tbsp/30 mL butter, melted
2 Tbsp/30 mL minced onion
2 tsp/10 mL dried dill
1/2 tsp/2 mL salt
1/4 tsp/1 mL thyme
1/4 tsp/1 mL pepper
Grease a baking dish with the first amount of melted butter.
Place the fish in the baking dish.
Combine the sour cream, second amount of melted butter, onion, dill, salt, thyme and pepper.
Spread this over the fish.
Bake until the sauce is bubbly and the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Use about 2 Tbsp/30 mL of fresh dill instead of dried dill.
- Use about 1 tsp/5 mL fresh thyme instead of dried thyme.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Try using plain yogurt instead of sour cream - or use a mixture of yogurt and sour cream.
- Experiment with adding different spices. How about tarragon, or oregano? If you're really a dill lover, add more dill.
- Instead of using white fish, try this recipe with salmon fillets.
- If you use frozen fish fillets, be sure to allow time for them to thaw!
- To thaw the butter, place it in an oven-proof bowl and put the bowl in the oven for a minute or two while it is preheating. Be sure to use oven mitts when you take the bowl out of the oven!
- Cooking time will depend on the temperature and thickness of the fillets. A good estimate is 10 minutes per inch of thickness (5 minutes per cm).
Serve this dish with