Butternut Squash Recipe
This butternut squash recipe makes an attractive and delicious side dish. It's quick and simple to make; you'll be surprised at how wonderful it tastes.
This is a perfect Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner side dish. See the Tips below for a hint about how to make this even if your oven is full of turkey.
Baking time will depend on a number of factors, including the size of your squash cubes and the freshness of the squash. Check the squash after 30 minutes, and then at 15 minute intervals. You want it to be completely cooked, but not mushy!
Check that you have these staples at home
- olive oil
- dried parsley
Buy these fresh ingredients
Get out your equipment
- a sharp knife and a cutting board
- a large bowl
- a covered baking dish
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a garlic press (if not, just mince the garlic)
The butternut squash recipe
Preheat oven to 400F/200C.
2 Tbsp/30 mL olive oil
2 tsp/10 mL dried parsley
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tsp/5 mL salt
1/2 tsp/2 mL pepper
1 medium-sized butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch/2 cm cubes (about 8 cups/2 L)
In a large bowl, combine the oil, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper.
Add the squash cubes and toss till the cubes are well coated.
Transfer to an ungreased baking dish.
Bake, uncovered, until the squash is just tender.
- Use 2 Tbsp/30 mL fresh parsley instead of dried.
- Use another vegetable oil instead of olive oil.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Try adding some more, or different, spices. How about basil, or oregano?
- Perhaps a touch of sweetness would be tasty! Try sprinkling on a bit or brown sugar, or drizzling on a bit of maple syrup.
- Are you in a rush? Here's how to cook butternut squash in a hurry. Just preheat your oven to 350F/180C. Cut the squash in half. Scoop out and discard the seeds. Oil a baking sheet. Place the squash, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Bake until the squash is soft - at least 45 minutes. You can eat the cooked squash just as is, or add some butter and/or a sprinkle of brown sugar.
- If you want to make this recipe as part of your holiday meal, but you are using your oven to cook the turkey, here is a hint: Parboil the squash cubes (that just means boil them for about 3 minutes) before tossing them with the oil and spices. Put the pan into the oven with the turkey, about 30 minutes before the turkey is due to be cooked. If your oven isn't that big, wait until the turkey comes out of the oven, turn up the oven temperature to 425F/220C and cook the parboiled squash dish for about 20 minutes. By the time you've carved the turkey and made the gravy, your vegetable dish will be ready.
Serve this dish with
- roast turkey
- steamed broccoli
- Mashed Potatoes
If you enjoy this butternut squash recipe, you may also like these other vegetable recipes: