Squash Casserole Recipe:
Squash with Garlic and Feta
Here is a wonderful squash casserole recipe that makes a dish as attractive as it is delicious. This makes a good entrée for a special dinner - the perfect thing to serve to your vegetarian guests.
Please note that you will need cooked squash to make this meal. Be sure to factor that into your cooking time!
If you cook the squash ahead of time, this is quite a quick meal.
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- olive oil
- in the fridge or freezer
- plain unflavored yogurt
Buy these fresh ingredients
- acorn squash
- red bell peppers
- feta cheese
Get out your equipment
- a baking sheet
- a large bowl
- a skillet
- a cutting board and sharp knife
- a mixing spoon
- measuring cups and spoons
- a baking pan
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a garlic press (if not, mince the garlic with a sharp knife)
Preheat the oven to 375F/190C.
4 cups/1 L cooked and mashed squash
1 Tbsp/15 mL olive oil
1 1/2 cups/375 mL chopped onion
1 tsp/5 mL salt
2 small bell peppers, red or green, minced
5 cloves garlic, pressed
1/4 tsp/2 mL pepper
1/2 cup/125 mL plain yogurt
1 cup/250 mL crumbled feta cheese
Put the mashed squash into a large bowl.
In a skillet, heat the olive oil.
Add the onion.
Sauté over medium heat until the onions are soft.
Add the salt, bell peppers, garlic, and pepper.
Continue sautéing until the peppers are soft.
Add this sauté to the squash.
Add the yogurt and feta. Mix well.
Spread into an ungreased 9 inch square baking pan.
Bake, uncovered, until warm and bubbly (about 30 minutes).
- Use any winter squash in place of the acorn squash.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- You know, this is one of those recipes that seems perfect! I can't think of any way to improve upon it. If you can, please let me know!
- Cook and mash the squash the day before you are going to make this easy squash casserole. Store the mashed squash in the refrigerator.
- Here's how to cook acorn squash: Cut the squash in half and remove its seeds. Grease a baking sheet with olive oil. Place the squash, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Bake at 350F/180C until the squash is soft (about an hour). Allow to cool before scooping out the cooked flesh.
Serve this dish with
If you enjoy this squash casserole recipe, you may also like these other squash recipes:
Thanks so much for your wonderful recipes. They've all been a hit with my family! I'm a new wife/mom who doesn't have a domestic bone in her body, so I am very grateful for what you do. Keep up the good work!
Thank you so much for everything that you are doing Ellen. You are truly helping so many of us who can't think straight enough to put a meal together.
I just wanted to say that you put so many awesome recipes on here, and it really does help simplify dinner time for me. My favorites are the Sweet Lemony Tomato chicken (unlike any chicken I've ever had!) and the Garlic and Balsamic Chicken. It is divine! Thank you so much for what you do! And keep 'em coming!
This is truly one of the best sites in the world. Since I started coming to your site, my wife thinks I am a hero in the kitchen. I used to hate cooking. Now I just check your site before doing our shopping to see what new thing I can add. Thank you so much for your generousity, you truly are a blessing to me, my wife and our marriage.
Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa