Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe:
Baked Sweet Potatoes With Honey And Lime
Here is a mashed sweet potato recipe that I can almost guarantee that everyone will like!
Creamy sweet potatoes combine with the sweetness of honey and the tartness of lime juice for an out-of-the-ordinary vegetable taste sensation.
If you think that your children don't like sweet potatoes, try them on this mashed sweet potato recipe!
I used to think that the orange sweet potatoes were called "yams". Perhaps that's what you think, too! I was wrong! Yams and sweet potatoes are actually completely different things.
Yam vs. Sweet Potato
- Sweet Potato
- a root vegetable, distantly related to the potato
- long, pointed at the ends
- has thin skin, similar to potato skin
- two main varieties: light yellow and dark orange
- easy to find in North America supermarkets
- the tuber of a vine
- has rough skin that resembles the bark of a tree
- more than 150 varieties
- hard to find in North America; look in African or Caribbean markets
However, most markets and grocery stores where I live call the orange variety "yams". You can call them yams, too, if you want to! No matter what you call them, they are easy to cook, delicious and extremely nutritious.
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- in the fridge or freezer
Buy these fresh ingredients
- 2 limes
- orange sweet potatoes
Get out your equipment
- a fork
- a saucepan
- a potato masher
- a citrus juicer
- measuring cups and spoons
- Nice to have but not necessary
3 lbs/1.5 kg orange sweet potatoes
1/4 cup/60 mL butter
2 Tbsp/30 mL liquid honey
1/2 tsp/2 mL salt
Preheat oven to 400F/205C.
Wash the sweet potatoes and poke them with a fork in several places.
Place them in the oven.
Bake for about an hour, until they are very soft.
(Poke them with a fork to make sure. The fork should slide through the sweet potato easily.)
Remove from the oven and set aside until they are cool enough to handle.
While you wait, juice the limes.
Peel the sweet potatoes.
Place them in the saucepan.
Mash them thoroughly.
Add the butter, honey, lime juice and salt.
Mash everything together until very well combined.
Put the saucepan on the stove and reheat over low heat.
- Use maple syrup in place of the honey.
- Use bottled lime juice instead of freshly squeezed. You'll need 4 Tbsp/60 mL bottled juice.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Adjust the amounts of the flavorings to your taste. Perhaps you'd like more salt and less sweetness - or less butter and more lime juice!
- Try substituting another citrus juice for the lime juice.
- Try using yellow sweet potatoes instead of orange.
- All honey will eventually turn solid. If your honey is solid, place it in a glass jar and set it in a pan of very warm water until the honey melts.
- For a creamier texture, use a food processor to mash the sweet potatoes and combine the ingredients.
- Here is the conversion for substituting bottled lime juice: the juice of one lime equals two tablespoons/30 mL of bottled juice.
Serve this dish with
If you enjoy this mashed sweet potato recipe, you may also like these other sweet potato recipes:
Return from mashed sweet potato recipe to vegetable recipes.
Home to healthy quick meals.