Candied Sweet Potato Recipe
This candied sweet potato recipe makes a delectable vegetable side dish to serve with a special holiday meal.
The brown sugar-garlic-cider vinegar sauce is SO good!
Using one yellow and one orange sweet potato makes this a beautiful and colorful dish.
This recipe can easily be doubled.
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- brown sugar
- cider vinegar
- in the fridge or freezer
Buy these fresh ingredients
Get out your equipment
- a large bowl
- measuring spoons and cups
- a cutting board and sharp knife
- a casserole dish
- aluminum foil
- Nice to have but not necessary
- an apple corer (if not, just cut the apple up with a knife)
- a garlic press (if not, just mince the garlic)
Candied Sweet Potato Recipe
6 Tbsp/90 mL melted butter
1/4 cup/60 mL brown sugar
1 Tbsp/15 mL cider vinegar
1/2 tsp/2 mL salt
1/4 tsp/1 mL pepper
1 clove garlic, pressed
2 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into chunks
1 yellow sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
1 orange sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
1 medium-sized onion, peeled and cut into chunks
Preheat oven to 425F/220C.
In a large bowl, mix the butter, brown sugar, cider vinegar, salt, pepper and garlic.
Add the apples, sweet potatoes, and onion to the bowl.
Toss everything together well and transfer to a casserole dish.
Cover with foil.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Remove the foil and bake until all of the vegetable are tender (approximately 30 minutes more).
- Use another vinegar in place of cider vinegar.
- Use any tart crisp apples in place of the Granny Smith apples.
- Use two orange sweet potatoes, or two yellow, rather than one of each.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Try using another sweetener, like honey or maple syrup, instead of the brown sugar. (I haven't tried this yet myself, because the recipe is SO good as it is!)
- Think about adding another vegetable or fruit to the mix. Hmmm…. what could you try?
- Melt the butter in a pan on the stovetop, in an ovenproof bowl in the oven, or in the microwave. (Use oven mitts! The bowl will be hot!)
- When the fruit and vegetables meet the warm butter sauce, the sauce may turn gloppy. That's OK! It will liquify again when it warms up in the oven.
- To cook this as part of a holiday dinner, when the oven is full of a turkey or other special dishes, follow these steps:
- Parboil the sweet potatoes (that just means boil them for about 3 minutes) before tossing them with the sauce.
- Continue with the recipe as usual.
- Put the pan, uncovered, into the oven with the turkey, one hour before the turkey will be ready.
- If your oven isn't that big, you can wait until the turkey comes out of the oven, turn up the oven temperature to 425F/220C and cook the parboiled sweet potato dish for just 30 minutes. By the time you've carved the turkey and made the gravy, your sweet potato dish will be ready.
Serve this dish with
Just want to say thank you so much for doing this - these recipes are great and you are a lifesaver!
New York, USA
Thank you for this resource - it is invaluable to working (and otherwise really busy) moms and dads!! I really like the recipes - they are simple, yummy, and quick - three "must haves" for me!
I love your recipes and this website. I love getting your emails. Keep up the good work!
I wanted to let you know that the Parmesan Chicken recipe was absolutely wonderful. My son had seconds and ate some the next day for leftovers. My four year old ate it without a fuss also!
West Virginia, USA