Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
This Sweet Potato Fries recipe is always a hit at my house. If you love french fries but are searching for a healthier alternative, this is the recipe for you!
Since they are baked, these fries use almost no oil.
This recipe makes quite a lot of fries, but my two oldest boys can eat the whole batch by themselves. (They're not even teenagers yet!) You might want to double the batch!
Baking time can vary widely, depending on your sweet potatoes, how thickly you cut the fries, and how crispy you want them to be. Give yourself plenty of time to make these, the first time you try them.
We like to eat these with salt and vinegar. They are good with ketchup, too!
Check that you have these staples at home
Buy these fresh ingredients
Get out your equipment
- a baking sheet
- a cutting board and sharp knife
- a large bowl
- a mixing spoon
- Nice to have but not necessary
- measuring spoons (if not, just estimate)
- a vegetable peeler (if not, use a paring knife)
- a silicone brush for oiling the baking sheet
2 lbs/1 kg sweet potatoes (about 3 large)
2 Tbsp/30 mL olive oil
1 Tbsp/15 mL paprika
1 tsp/5 mL ground cumin
Preheat oven to 425F/215C.
Lightly oil a baking sheet.
In a very large bowl, put the olive oil, paprika, and cumin.
Stir until mixed.
Peel the sweet potatoes.
Cut the sweet potatoes in half, lengthwise.
Then cut each half into strips about 1/2 inch/1 cm wide.
Cut each strip in half so that you have french fry-sized pieces.
Put the sweet potato strips into the bowl.
Toss until well coated with oil and spices.
Bake until the fries are very soft all the way through, and are a bit crispy on the outside (20 to 40 minutes).
- Use another vegetable oil in place of the olive oil.
- Use yellow sweet potatoes instead of orange.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Experiment with other spices. How about some garlic salt, or curry powder? Use your imagination!
- Make the fries as small or as big as you like them. Watch them carefully, though - the smaller they are, the faster they will cook.
- Work fast! Sweet potatoes discolor quickly once they are peeled. Immediately put the slices into the bowl and toss them with olive oil.
Serve this dish with
Thanks so much for your wonderful recipes. They've all been a hit with my family! I'm a new wife/mom who doesn't have a domestic bone in her body, so I am very grateful for what you do. Keep up the good work!
Thank you so much for everything that you are doing Ellen. You are truly helping so many of us who can't think straight enough to put a meal together.
I just wanted to say that you put so many awesome recipes on here, and it really does help simplify dinner time for me. My favorites are the Sweet Lemony Tomato chicken (unlike any chicken I've ever had!) and the Garlic and Balsamic Chicken. It is divine! Thank you so much for what you do! And keep 'em coming!
This is truly one of the best sites in the world. Since I started coming to your site, my wife thinks I am a hero in the kitchen. I used to hate cooking. Now I just check your site before doing our shopping to see what new thing I can add. Thank you so much for your generousity, you truly are a blessing to me, my wife and our marriage.
Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa