Nice to have but not necessary
- a vegetable peeler (if not, peel the sweet potatoes with a knife)
- a whisk for beating the eggs (if not, use a fork)
- a metal strainer for draining the cooked sweet potatoes
Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
1 unbaked pie crust
3 smallish yellow sweet potatoes
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup/60 mL honey
1 tsp/5 mL cinnamon
1/2 tsp/2 mL ground ginger
1/2 tsp/2 mL ground cloves
1/4 tsp/1 mL ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp/1 mL salt
2/3 cup/160 mL evaporated milk
Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into chunks.
Boil until very soft.
Using a potato masher, mash the cooked sweet potatoes well.
Measure out 1 1/2 cups/375 mL.
(Eat or discard any extra.)
In a small bowl, beat the eggs.
Into a large bowl, put the mashed sweet potatoes, beaten eggs, honey, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, salt and evaporated milk.
Pour into the pie shell.
Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until a knife inserted into the middle of the pie comes out clean.
- Use orange sweet potatoes instead of yellow.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Top the cooked pie with whipped cream, or serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.
- Be sure not to buy sweetened condensed milk by mistake! You want evaporated milk. You can use the whole milk, low-fat or fat-free variety.
- Sweet potatoes discolor very quickly once they have been peeled. To keep them from turning black, put them into the saucepan water as soon as you have peeled them and cut them into chunks.
If you enjoy this sweet potato pie recipe, you may also like these other healthy pie recipes: