Egg Casserole Recipes:
Broccoli, Egg And Cheese Casserole
Egg casserole recipes are a good choice when you are looking for a healthy quick meal. This Broccoli, Egg and Cheese Casserole can be a vegeatarian main dish for two people.
It also makes a nice side dish, or a great brunch casserole.
Broccoli is full of nutrients - and it tastes great too!
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- vegetable oil
- whole wheat flour
- in the fridge or freezer
- Cheddar cheese
Buy these fresh ingredients
Get out your equipment
- a casserole dish
- a saucepan with a steamer basket
- a cutting board and sharp knife
- a skillet
- measuring cups and spoons
- a small bowl
- a grater
- a wooden spoon or other mixing spoon
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a silicone brush for oiling the casserole dish
- a whisk for beating the eggs (if not, use a fork)
3 cups/750 mL broccoli
2 Tbsp/30 mL butter
1 cup/250 mL chopped onion
2 Tbsp/30 mL whole wheat flour
1/2 cup/125 mL water
2 cups/500 mL grated Cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
Oil the casserole dish.
Steam the broccoli until tender-crisp (about 5 minutes).
Place it in the casserole dish.
In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
Add the onion, and sauté until it is soft.
Add the flour to the skillet. Cook and stir for about one minute.
Slowly add the water to the skillet.
Cook until the mixture is thickened, stirring constantly.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
In a small bowl, beat the eggs.
Add them to the skillet.
Add the grated cheese.
Stir and cook until it melts.
Pour the onion mixture over the broccoli.
Bake until the casserole is firm in the center (about 40 minutes).
- Use any flour in place of the whole wheat.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Try using another cheese in place of the Cheddar.
- What other steamed vegetables could you add to the casserole? How about some steamed green beans, or asparagus?
- I use not only the broccoli flowerets, but also most of the stalk. I cut off the woody end, and then peel off and discard the tough outer skin of the remaining stalk.
For a tasty vegetarian meal, serve this dish with
Just want to say thank you so much for doing this - these recipes are great and you are a lifesaver!
New York, USA
Thank you for this resource - it is invaluable to working (and otherwise really busy) moms and dads!! I really like the recipes - they are simple, yummy, and quick - three "must haves" for me!
I love your recipes and this website. I love getting your emails. Keep up the good work!
I wanted to let you know that the Parmesan Chicken recipe was absolutely wonderful. My son had seconds and ate some the next day for leftovers. My four year old ate it without a fuss also!
West Virginia, USA