Vegetable Cheese Oat Cake
Looking for a hearty main-dish vegetable casserole? Vegetable Cheese Oat Cake is a tasty quick meal.
Recipes using oats are economical and filling.
This can be a main dish for two people, or a side dish for four.
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- vegetable oil
- rolled oats
- in the fridge or freezer
Buy these fresh ingredients
Get out your equipment
- a skillet
- a cutting board and sharp knife
- measuring cups and spoons
- a small bowl in which to beat the eggs
- a large bowl
- a baking dish
- a large baking pan
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a whisk for beating the eggs
- a silicone brush for oiling the baking dish
Preheat oven to 400F/205C.
Oil a large baking pan.
1 Tbsp/15 mL vegetable oil
1 cup/250 mL chopped onion
1 cup/250 mL chopped carrots
1 cup/250 mL cottage cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup rolled oats
2 Tbsp/30 mL tamari
1 Tbsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
In a skillet, heat the oil.
Add the onions.
Sauté until golden.
Add the carrots.
Sauté for 2-3 minutes more.
Transfer this mixture to a large bowl.
Add the cottage cheese, eggs, rolled oats, tamari, oregano, salt and pepper to the bowl.
Spread the mixture into the greased baking pan.
Bake for 20-30 minutes, until warmed through.
- Use soy sauce instead of tamari.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Add different vegetables to the casserole. How about a mixture of mushrooms, carrots and zucchini? Use your imagination!
- Experiment with different spices. How about some basil, or thyme, or tarragon? What about adding some garlic?
- Sauté the vegetables until they are as tender (or not) as you like. If you prefer some crunch in your food, don't cook them for long.
Serve this dish with