Coconut Oven Fried Chicken Recipe
If you are looking for a fried chicken recipe that is healthier than most, give this a try!
This quick meal has a nice texture and a subtle but delicious flavor. Since it is cooked in the oven, it is fast and easy to make, with no mess or fuss.
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- flaked unsweetened coconut
- in the fridge or freezer
- chicken pieces (about 2 lbs/1 kg)
- bread crumbs
Get out your equipment
- a baking dish, large enough to hold all of the chicken in a single layer
- a shallow dish
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a silicone brush (if not, just drizzle the butter over the chicken and spread it with a spoon)
Preheat oven to 350F/175C.
1/4 cup/60 ml melted butter
2 lbs/1 kg chicken pieces
1/2 cup/125 mL flaked unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup/60 mL fine bread crumbs
Brush the chicken pieces with melted butter.
In a shallow bowl, stir together the coconut and the bread crumbs.
Roll the chicken pieces in the coconut mixture.
Place the chicken in a baking pan.
Drizzle any remaining butter over the chicken.
Bake for about an hour, or until no longer pink inside.
- Use olive oil instead of melted butter.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Make your own breadcrumbs - and season them with your favorite herbs. I toast a slice of bread, then use my
Magic Bullet blender
to whirl it into crumbs.
- Breadcrumbs stay fresh for a long time when stored in the freezer.
If you enjoy this recipe, you may also like these other very easy chicken recipes: