Best Meatloaf Recipe:
Meatloaf with More
This is the best meatloaf recipe I've ever tried. It takes a bit more time than some other beef recipes, but it's worth it!
The grated carrot and grated cheese make this a substantial - and delicious! - quick meal.
Meatloaf is real comfort food - and this meatloaf is extra hearty and nutritious.
Be sure to let it cook long enough - meatloaf always takes longer than I think it will!
Check that you have these staples at home
- in the cupboard
- in the fridge or freezer
- bread crumbs
- Cheddar cheese
- Worcestershire sauce
- ground beef (about 1 1/2 lbs/750 g)
Buy these fresh ingredients
Get out your equipment
- a large mixing bowl
- a loaf pan
- measuring cups and spoons
- a grater
- a cutting board and sharp knife
- Nice to have but not necessary
- a meat thermometer
- a whisk for beating the eggs (if not, use a fork)
Preheat oven to 350F/175C.
2 large eggs, beaten
2/3 cup/150 mL milk
1 cup/250 mL bread crumbs
1 cup/250 mL finely chopped onion
2/3 cup/150 mL grated carrot
1 cup/250 mL Cheddar cheese, grated
1 tsp/5 mL Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp/2 mL salt
1/4 tsp/1 mL pepper
1 1/2 lb/750 g lean ground beef
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except beef.
Add the beef. Mix well.
Spoon the mixture into a loaf pan.
Bake for at least one and a half hours, until no longer pink inside.
- Use any non-dairy milk (soy milk, rice milk, etc.) in place of the milk.
- Use steak sauce or barbecue sauce in place of the Worcestershire - or leave it out altogether.
Ideas for making this recipe your own
- Experiment with different cheeses instead of - or as well as - the Cheddar. How about mozzarella?
- Try using different ground meats: ground chicken or turkey, or ground pork - or a mixture of half ground beef and half something else.
- Add your favourite spices. How about thyme or oregano? How about some garlic?
- I use my clean hands to thoroughly mix all of the ingredients.
- I prefer using a glass loaf pan when I make meatloaf. It is much easier to clean than a metal pan is!
- Be sure that the meatloaf is completely cooked. You can use a meat thermometer to test that the meat has reached an internal temperature of at least 160F/71C, or you can cut into the loaf to ensure that there is no pink remaining.
Serve this dish with
If you enjoy this best meatloaf recipe, you may also like these other ground beef recipes: