How to Boil an Egg:
How to boil an egg is an essential skill!
Maybe you are planning to make
Maybe you are planning to color Easter eggs.
For all of these, you want perfect hard boiled eggs with creamy bright yellow yolks.
Here's how to boil the perfect hard boiled egg.
Get out your equipment
- a saucepan
- an egg timer (or the timer on your stove or watch)
- raw eggs
Here's what to do:
- Place the egg(s) carefully in a small saucepan.
- Cover them with cool water.
- Put the pan on the stove and turn the heat to high. (Stick around, because you'll need to know when the water starts to boil.)
- When the water comes to a full, rolling boil, with the bubbles breaking the surface, turn the heat down a bit. You want the water to boil gently: more than a simmer, but less than a full rolling boil.
- Set your timer for 12 minutes.
- When the time is up, immediately take the pan to the sink and carefully pour off the water.
- Run cold water from the tap over the eggs.
- Let the eggs sit in the cold water for a moment, and then pour off that water (which will have warmed already).
- Cover the eggs with cold water one more time.
- Let them sit for a few minutes until they are cool enough to handle.
- Pour off the water.
There you go: how to boil an egg!